Former national table tennis team player Wang Yuegu announced on 13 October 2016 that she is divorced.
See: “Former national paddler Wang Yuegu, 36, announces divorce”, The Straits Times, 15 October 2016
In a Facebook post, Wang wrote: “Gabriel Lee and I have been divorced. I don’t wish to dwell on the reasons, but I think everyone should understand why a woman would get a divorce shortly after giving birth.” She added that her husband had “disappointed everyone”.
In Singapore, the sole ground for divorce is the irretrievable breakdown of marriage. A marriage would be deemed to have broken down irretrievably if it is supported by one of the following 5 facts:
- One party has committed adultery and the other party finds it intolerable to continue living with him/ her.
- One party has behaved unreasonably and the other party finds it intolerable to continue living with him/ her.
- One party has deserted the other party for a minimum continuous period of 2 years.
- Parties have been separated for a minimum period of 3 years and both parties consent to the divorce.
- Parties have been separated for a minimum period of 4 years and one party wishes to proceed with the divorce.
See: Section 95 of Women’s Charter (Singapore)
Wang indicated that she does not wish to “dwell on the reasons” but from the fact that she had just given birth, facts (3) to (5) would not apply in her case. Irrespective of her reasons for divorce, she has adopted the right attitude by not dwelling on the reasons.
In criminal proceedings, the accused will either be found guilty or acquitted. The facts of the case are important as they will determine if the accused walks away as a free man or is put behind bars. Similarly, in civil proceedings, there will always be a “victor” or “loser” and facts play a big role.
“Reasons for divorce”, on the other hand, do not affect the result as significantly. At the end of the day, both parties receive the same divorce judgment irrespective of who is “right” and who is “wrong”.
What matters for those divorce proceedings is the ability to reboot their lives and start afresh. The sun will rise again and a new day will come. There is much life after divorce.
You may also be interested to read more about:
For more information, please contact us here.