Part 1: How long does uncontested divorce take in Singapore?
It will take 4 months.
There are 3 stages to this:
- Engage us- We will prepare the divorce papers and arrange for signing. Only you are needed at the first appointment. The first draft will be sent to you within 24 hours.
- We will arrange for signing. Both parties are needed.
- The signed papers are submitted to the Family Justice Courts. The Court will grant the divorce.
Part 2: How long does uncontested divorce take in Singapore? Why do some uncontested divorce take longer than others?
- The time taken between engagement of lawyer and sending of first draft may be longer. At Family Law Advocates, we guarantee that the first draft will be sent to your email inbox within 24 hours.
- It may be difficult for you to fix a signing date with your spouse. As such, we may only be able to get the papers signed and submitted at a later date.
Part 3: How long does uncontested divorce take in Singapore? Can it get any faster?
Yes, if you have exceptional reasons for the divorce to be expedited. For instance, your spouse may be suffering from an incurable illness and death is imminent. Or your spouse may be pregnant with another person’s child and is due to give birth.
There is no “instant divorce” in Singapore. Even in countries like India, husbands who attempt “instant divorce” could be sentenced to 3 years in prison.
See: “Triple talaq: India considers jail for ‘instant divorce’, BBC News, 2 December 2017
For more information, contact us today!
You may also be interested to read more about: