Separation Deed Singapore

What is a separation deed Singapore? When do you need a separation deed Singapore?

Separation Deed Singapore

You need a separation deed if you are faced with one of the following:

  1. You want a divorce but you don’t qualify for one yet. It may be because your marriage is under 3 years. It may also be because you are a foreigner in Singapore and you have resided in Singapore for less than 3 years.
  2. You want a divorce but you are not ready to get a divorce because:
    1. You have not met the Minimum Occupancy Period of 3 years for your HDB flat; or
    2. Your children are young. You want to get a divorce when they are older.
  3. You want to give the marriage another shot.

Even though I am a family lawyer, I am all for reconciliation if parties have the desire to.

In the words of Fabian Ng Yuan Sheng, who wrote to the Straits Times forum page: “While marriages have their ups and downs and families go through difficult times, it is important for the Family Justice system and Singapore’s legislative framework to adopt an attitude and approach that encourage reconciliation and healing, rather than expeditiously granting divorce.”

See: Fabian Ng Yuan Sheng, “Better to focus on reconciliation, healing in family courts”, The Straits Times, 23 November 2017

In cases where there is a possibility of reconciliation, I would encourage my clients to opt for a separation deed Singapore, rather than outright divorce. Sometimes, all you need is a cooling off period. Think it through. There are few decisions as important as this.

If you have more questions on separation deed Singapore, contact us today!

You may also be interested to read more about:

1. Divorce and Separation

2. Annulment (Nullity) of Marriage

3. Children’s Issues

4. Matrimonial Assets

5. Maintenance Issues (Alimony)

6. Family Violence

Leave a Comment

Call Now Button
WhatsApp chat