Range of Orders


Expedited Order (Temporary Order)

In order to get a personal protection order (“PPO”) in Singapore, the alleged victim must make an application at the Family Justice Courts. At the Family Justice Courts, the alleged victim is required to provide details on the alleged violence. In the event that the Court thinks that the victim is in imminent danger, the Court may grant an expedited order prior to the trial for the personal protection order. The expedited order works like a PPO. It orders the alleged aggressor to desist from violence or threat of violence.

The Court may make an expedited order even if the respondent (alleged aggressor) has not been notified of the application for a personal protection order. However, the expedited order will not take effect until the respondent (alleged aggressor) is notified of the making of the expedited order. The expedited order expires 28 days after the day it is made. However, the Court has the power to extend the duration of the expedited order.

See: Section 66 of Women’s Charter (Singapore)

Personal Protection Order (“PPO”)

The court may, if it satisfied that family violence has been committed or is likely to be committed against a family member and that it is necessary for the protection of the family member, make a protection order restraining the aggressor from committing further family violence.

The PPO is only granted after a trial, or if the alleged aggressor admits to using violence and consent to the issue of a PPO.

See: Section 65 of Women’s Charter (Singapore)

Domestic Exclusion Order (“DEO”)

The Court may also grant a domestic exclusion order (“DEO”) if it thinks that it is necessary for the safety of the protected person. A DEO will give the protected person the right of exclusive occupation to the shared home or a specified part of the shared home by excluding the person whom the protection order is made against from the shared home (or specified part of the home). The DEO may be made even if the shared home is solely (or jointly) owned or rented by the person against whom the order is made.

Your family lawyer can assist by:

1. Advising you on the strength of your case (if you are applying for a PPO/ DEO or if a PPO/ DEO application has been made against you).

2. Advising you on your rights.

3. Ensuring that your interests and concerns are addressed.

4. Drafting and filing the documents required by the Court.

5. Representing you in Court mentions and the trial.

6. Representing you in negotiations with the other party.

You may also be interested to read more about:

1. Divorce and Separation

2. Annulment (Nullity) of Marriage

3. Children’s Issues

4. Matrimonial Assets

5. Maintenance Issues (Alimony)

6. Family Violence

Call Now Button
WhatsApp chat